Thursday, April 2, 2009

Scary Moments

What's the scariest moment of your life? Have you ever thought about that? Looking back, and distinguishing the REAL scary moments from just the thriller scary moments like a roller coaster ride or haunted house?

I've only had two that I can really say were scary. Of course I've had sad times, and moments i wouldn't want to go through again...but scary scary...just 2. The first was when I was in labor with Pierson. Just sitting in the room watching TV/snoozing, and talking to Jason, when all the sudden 5 nurses burst through the doors, put an oxygen mask on me, tell me to get on all fours, so the baby can reposition while they are paging my doctor to come ASAP! Our little boy had wrapped himself around the umbilical cord and gave us a scare. Hours later, push after push, our Dr. gave an ultimatum. One last push. If this doesn't work. C-section! What was that? Did she say c-section? I was so freaked out! I didn't know anything about c-sections! I totally bypassed all that stuff when I was reading all the books! But now that i look back on it, it doesn't even compare to incident number two.

Last Thursday night as I was putting Car-Car down on the changing table, she had a little jerk..like I had startled her or something. I didn't really think anything was wrong, but afterwards, I could feel her heart beating out of her chest, and she was unresponsive. Wouldn't look at me, talk or turn towards the sounds I made. Jason and I rushed her to the ER at Childrens hospital and after a chest x-ray, and catheter to check for UTI, they diagnosed her with febrile seizure. Her temp. had spiked to 104 which caused a seizure. The ER doctor said its common, don't be worried, it only happens again in about 1/3 of the children. This fact made me feel safe. We had gotten through or first ER trip ever and our Carson was back to normal.

Friday evening, around the same time Carson's fever resurfaced. We had given her Tylenol around 4:30 and she wasn't due for more until 7:30pm. 7:30pm comes around and the sweet girl is asleep in my lap. (I live for moments like this!) I was going to put her down for bed, but Jason said, 'Just let her sleep for a bit and I'm going to take a shower. When I get out I'll help you give her medicine and put her down.' He heads to the shower and I am left with my baby cuddled up in my lap. Fifteen minutes later, she gives this unearthly scream and has another seizure! This one much worse, and much longer! Words can not express how horrific it was!! I am screaming, and crying as I rush to the bathroom to get Jason. We are scared to death! The seizure ends and she is worn out. I am a total mess at this point! I did not expect it to happen again! We took her to the doctor Saturday morning, and basically found out nothing more but just to keep her fever down, and children that get febrile seizures are prone to get them again. We alternated Tylenol and Motrim every 3 hours for 48 hours and her fever is now gone and she is back to normal.

For future reference, now we know we must tend to Carson's fever ASAP and not let them get out of hand. Febrile seizures occur in 4% of children and 2/3 of kids only have it once, while 1/3 have more than once. Children grow out of it by age 5. Four more years of being scared of fevers, but we know God is with our baby we are so thankful for all the prayers from family and friends!

No comments: